Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hot in Herre... FOREVER?

Latino Mix 105.7, a radio station in San Francisco, has been looping Nelly's Hot in Herre for 19 hours straight and counting. I've been listening to the station online for the last hour and I can verify this report. The song plays, and with literally no break at all starts again from the beginning. Nary an interruption, save for the occasional commercial in Spanish.

I cannot express to you how amazing this is. But let us try and count the ways:

  • Hot in Herre is awesome. Nelly at the peak of his "powers." One of the greatest choruses of all time. And a beat that just puts a smile on your face. I literally haven't stopped smiling since I put this station on.
  • A subtle way in which Pharrell continues owning the pop culture moment. Pharrell helped write the song, and also produced it as one half of the Neptunes.
  • "I think my butt getting big!"
  • Hot in Herre came out in 2002. It's 12 years old. And yet it's still more fun than *anything* being played on the radio today. Seriously, name a song that came out in the past decade that's more fun than Hot in Herre. Call Me Maybe? Single Ladies? Blurred Lines? Please.
  • Nelly is actually really great on this song. His rhythmic integrity is impeccable. Right with the beat, every time.
  • "I am getting so hot, I'm wanna take my clothes off." A sentence no human being has ever said in real life ever. And who is the woman who says this on the song? Did she get paid? Is she seeing royalties from this whole episode?
  • Oh wait, an English commercial just came on. All the other ones were in Spanish. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
  • Is it possible environmentalists have commandeered the station, with this being their way of drawing attention to global warming?
  • The wikipedia article on Hot in Herre has already been updated: "At 3 PM on March 14, 2014, Latin Mix 105.7 in San Francisco began playing this on loop for eternity." Let us hope they're right!

No comments: